just don’t say it: com Boxes.
In the blogging world we have some of our own lingo, including “com boxes”. Com boxes are those lovely things at the end of the posts that allow you to interact with the blogger, to share your thoughts, offer prayers, and discuss just about anything. Com boxes can be a wonderful thing. They can also be a place for people who generally seem to be up to no good to spew some pretty nasty and uncharitable things. Below you’ll find some of the things that have made their way into the spam box, comments left anonymously, and comments that I deemed unfit to be added to the discussion (charity, folks!). Honestly, if I didn’t laugh at them I’d see red all the time and never bother logging in to write another blog again. So, here’s to the anonymous and hateful commenters that keep me writing for the glory of God (because when people start hating on you, it is a sure sign that you are doing something right)!
- I hope you don’t receive any gifts…you should spend less time pontificating, and go out and make some friends.
- Learn some common courtesies.
- You’ll never find your future husband, but good luck with that hopeless quest.
- I will not be supporting your blog since the person behind it is a snobbish woman that likes to pontificate.
- You don’t win husbands by pontificating on a giant blog
- I have to go to confession for the lust I’ve committed in my heart after reading this post.
- You think are you being modest, but you are really a whore.
- You are a ruthless, thoughtless slut who will never find love.
- All of your fans need a reality check.
- Get out of the kitchen, get out of the church, get a career, and get your life back.
- The author of this blog is anything BUT worthy of love.
- How dare you judge me for ________ [insert just about anything here, this theme of anonymous comment is frequent]!
- Why did you bother going to college when you clearly just want to be someone’s sex slave so you can waste your body away having children for the rest of your life?
- Catholicism is the biggest joke ever told on humanity. I’ll see you in hell.
- I think you’re meant to be single and keep this blog going forever until you pass away at 100.
- I think you have done enough pontificating…I think you have done your duty and should move on to other things.
- Really? My blog, my thoughts, if you don’t like them or you think I’m pontificating, feel free to stop reading. And commenting. Any. Time.
Com boxes can be a wonderful thing. I can’t tell you how many wonderful, holy, prayerful interactions I have with people (here and on other blogs) in the comment boxes. They are often a place for prayer, support, camaraderie, and friendship. We shouldn’t misuse the comment boxes because we are all made in the image and likeness of God (Gen 1:27), whether we completely agree with what the blogger or other commenters are saying or not. If we do feel called to correct someone, we should remember to do so with charity and respect rather than biting criticism and hatred.
I could go through and respond to each of those anonymous comments. I could let my blood boil (sometimes that happens), OR I could laugh at them and know that sometimes (often times) when we pursue Truth, when we do our best to share God’s love, we will be ridiculed. We will be hated. We will meet less than charitable people in com boxes who try to steal our joy, tear us down, and belittle us. We come face to face with spiritual darkness as the dark tries to steal the light from us. But guess what? Light always beats dark. Good always wins. Love always triumphs.
“Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.” – Matthew 5:11-12
“If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you.” – John 15:18-19
“In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” – John 16:33
OUR DEALS ARE HEAVENLY! SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER:
Amy, thank you so much for your kind words, they mean so much to me! I couldn’t agree more, if people don’t like what they read, they are free to never come back again, or to be charitable in their comments! As Momma always said, “If you ain’t got nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all!” 🙂
This really broke my heart, Amanda. Understand that there are just some people in the world out there who are so miserable and broken that they have to go around defacing other people’s beautiful, inspiring work. I don’t get the “pontificating” comments. You have insights, I’ve never thought you were being preachy. Why are they even reading your blog to begin with? Baffling.
Don’t let them get you down. You are doing wonderful things here and have inspired so many people (myself included!). Trolling, hateful, and degrading people in your com box is a testimony to the Truth (Jesus Christ) that you are speaking.
I completely understand! Honestly, it saddens me that people have so much bitterness and hardness of heart that the only way they can get it out is through hateful (and often anonymous) comments and e-mails. Pray for them!
Criticism, even if harshly/sharply phrased is certainly allowed. I don’t jump up and down over it, but constructive criticism is allowed. If the person is willing to have a rational conversation based in logic, that is welcomed. Hate, bile, and unproductive/useless comments are not permitted.
Wow… just wow. That is just ridiculous, Amanda! I am sorry you have to hear/read some of those things. They are dumb… sorry… I can’t help it. I mean, people’s lives must be incredibly boring for them to comment things like that.
You are indeed doing a wonderful, wonderful thing! God is so proud of you for serving Him. So, to he** with all those crazies!!
(I’m sorry… I tried to tame my words… I don’t think you really wanted to know the thoughts I had! haha)
What are your thoughts about constructive comments, then? Is it only appropriate that someone comments when they wish to laud your work?
I completely agree that outright rudeness and bile, as you listed above, should not be permitted. But in the interest of having a genuine conversation, do you allow criticism – even if sharply phrased?
Well, if I am, then praised be Jesus Christ!
Wow… I almost never get comments like that! You must really be doing something right.
Aw, thank you, you are so sweet! God bless you too!
Oh brother…those are crazy!
Well here is a positive comment for you:
Your blog is wonderful
Your writing is wonderful
You are loved by God and many others
And wonderful things will happen in your life!!!
Haha, thanks! That’s what I thought about that comment! “YES, I’ve made it! I have a giant blog!”
John 16:33 is so, so comforting!
John 16:33! My favorite bible verse. and I laughed out loud at the “comment” “…pontificating on a giant blog” that’s kind of a compliment, right? At least the individual admits you have a GIANT blog hehe Nice post, ma’am.